Gardens are an extension of nature, and it is often associated with caring, life, fertility, beauty, peace, rebirth, purity, and more. In fact, if you live in the city, the easiest way to explore and cherish the beauty of nature is to create a beautiful garden on your property. You can search for “landscape companies near me” on Google to hire the services of skilled landscape artists to help you with that.
Now, if you are wondering why gardens symbolize caring and whether you should start a fruit or vegetable garden, let’s look at a few points below to help you reach a decision:
- Gardens evoke a wide variety of emotions – The hobby of gardening or simply exploring a beautiful garden is enjoyable for most people. A well-maintained garden is filled with colorful plant life, attractive flowers that smell amazing, and nourishing vegetables that look scrumptious. All these sights, smell, and sounds tug at your senses and evoke a wide range of emotions which causes healing to occur on a deep, personal level.
Food gardens symbolize self-sufficiency and sustenance which only happens with careful nurturing of the plants. It denotes that proper care and effort can allow you to survive tomorrow and even help your friends, family members, and neighbors to survive.
Flower gardens symbolize beauty and joy and help you to understand the importance of maintaining a clean environment. Without proper care and gratitude, it is not possible to enjoy the beautiful things in life that allow you to appreciate life for what it is worth.
- Gardens symbolize the strength of life and fertility – Any gardener will tell you how hard it is to tend to a garden. You have to select seeds of a suitable plant species for the soil type in your property, the temperature in your region, ensure the soil is properly fertilized and free of pests, water them regularly, and ensure they receive the correct amount of sunlight, and more.
And yet it is not uncommon to fail during the first few attempts of growing new plants, especially if you are a beginner. However, when you finally witness the growth of the small plant seeds into pretty shrubs and colorful plants through your effort and proper nurturing, it evokes a feeling like no other. Such is the strength of life.
A garden with a healthy mix of plant life symbolizes the effort and care you put in to make it as it is today. Something that you can be proud of and helps you to practice acceptance.
- It promotes physical exercise – One of the best things you can do to take care of your health is to exercise regularly since physical exercise has been noted to offer a host of health benefits. Unfortunately, many people don’t have the time to go to the gym or they are simply too lazy to leave their house or even exercise at home.
Fortunately, gardening is a hobby that requires you to exert physical strength on a variety of gardening activities such as raking, shoveling, digging holes, making a paver, and more. All of these activities allow you to improve your strength, mobility, endurance, and flexibility.
Thus, through the act of gardening, you also take care of your physical health. However, you don’t have to be a gardener to enjoy the health benefits associated with gardening. Even going for a simple stroll through a park or community garden can help you to relax and get you a daily dose of light exercise.
- It helps to reduce stress and anxiety – Spending time in nature has been proven to provide relief to people who suffer from mental health issues such as stress, anxiety, and even mental fatigue. Learning gardening or simply spending time in a garden with your family members allows you to spend quality family time with each other.
It teaches you cooperation, and creativity, and allows you to develop self-confidence and a love of nature. You can also participate in community gardening activities to develop a sense of purpose and work with people who care for the environment.
Spending ample time in a pleasant environment such as gardens with people who are engaged in a shared activity and teamwork can allow you to feel like you belong to a greater whole and kill any sense of loneliness.
- It allows you to eat healthy – When you tend to your own garden, you know exactly what goes into growing the fruits and vegetables that you can pluck and consume and even provide to your family members. One of the most crucial ways to care for your health and the health of your loved ones is to eat healthy foods and maintain a balanced diet.
Even if you avoid eating processed and packaged food products, it can become impossible to confirm whether the food you buy from stores is actually healthy. The use of chemical fertilizers to improve yield and harmful pesticides to kill pests is well documented and as such, it can even harm your health.
However, all these worries are gone when you pluck fresh fruits and vegetables from your own garden or any garden that you can visit firsthand since you can check the quality of the food products onsite. The best part is that the fruits and vegetables that you can consume from your own garden are often much more cost-effective than what is available in the market.
Creating your first garden and tending to all the small shrubs and plants is a joyful experience that you will remember for your whole life. However, it is often a very challenging task for beginners, and it is likely to fail without proper guidance. Fortunately, you can search “landscape companies near me” online to find a list of experts in your area who can prepare your property for growing your dream garden. They will make your job far easier and can also offer you advice that will help you on your gardening journey.